One more terror suspect arrested in Bangalore

Bangalore Police Commissioner Jyoti Prakash Mirji flanked by Director General of Police Lalrokhuma Pachau (right) and Joint Commissioner B. Dayanand at a press conference in Bangalore. File photo: G.P. Sampath Kumar
Bangalore Police Commissioner Jyoti Prakash Mirji flanked by Director General of Police Lalrokhuma Pachau (right) and Joint Commissioner B. Dayanand at a press conference in Bangalore. File photo: G.P. Sampath Kumar
Hailing from Nanded, he had gone into hiding in the city after the first set of arrests

The Central Crime Branch of the Bangalore police arrested one more person as part of its ongoing anti-terror investigation. With this, the number of arrests has gone up to 13.
Twenty-two-year-old Mohammed Akram — with aliases such as Khalid and Imran Khan — was allegedly arrested late on Saturday evening from the busy Majestic area, which is the city’s main transit point.
He was allegedly trying to flee the city.
The police claim to have recovered a foreign-made 7.65 mm pistol, 16 live rounds as well as other incriminating material from him. Mr. Akram allegedly told the police that he is from Nanded in Maharashtra (where the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad recently arrested four men).
Revealing these details at a press conference here on Sunday, Bangalore Police Commissioner B.G. Jyothi Prakash Mirji said Akram had managed to evade arrest so far and had gone into hiding after the first set of arrests where 11 men were taken into custody on charges of plotting to assassinate some politicians and journalists.
For the first time since the August 29 operation came to light, Mr. Mirji confirmed that those arrested by the Maharashtra ATS and those arrested by the Bangalore police were part of the same alleged terror module. However, he refused to comment on whether the Maharashtra ATS and the Bangalore CCB were working together.
Referring to articles in a section of the media, Mr. Mirji appealed to journalists to exercise restraint and caution in reportage.
He said the case was an extremely serious one but it “should not be used to incite communal sentiments.”
READ MORE - One more terror suspect arrested in Bangalore

Cops name Iran military arm for attack on Israeli diplomat

Cops name Iran military arm for attack on Israeli diplomat Delhi Police unfolds that the suspects of bomb attack on Israeli diplomat in Delhi were members of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, a branch of nation’s military.

NEW DELHI: Alleging that an Iranian state agency was involved in the February 13 bomb attack on an Israeli diplomat in the capital, the Delhi Police has concluded that the suspects were members of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, a branch of the nation's military.

The investigation report, exclusively accessed by TOI, states that the IRGC members had discussed the plan to attack the Israeli diplomats in India and other countries with Indian journalist Syed Mohammad Ahmad Kazmi in January 2011, after Iranian scientists had been attacked allegedly by the Israelis. The cops have also learnt that Kazmi was in touch with these people for almost 10 years.

Details about the suspects have been shared with Iran through a letter rogatory. Delhi Police has sought more details of the five IRGC members, including the main bomber, Houshang Afshar Irani, who mentions his profession in Iran as a builder, Sedaghatzadeh Masoud (sales employee in a commercial company on Baharestan St, Tehran), Syed Ali Mahdiansadr (a mobile shopkeeper in Tehran), Mohammad Reza Abolghasemi (clerk in the finance department of Tehran's water authority) and Ali Akbar Norouzishayan (a retired accountant in Tehran).

According to the sources, Masoud is said to be the operational head and it was he who planned the attacks in Georgia, Bangkok and Delhi.

Apart from these five, police have also come across the role of an Iranian woman, identified as Leila Rohani, in the February 13 attack in New Delhi as well as the attacks in Bangkok and Georgia, and has sought details about her as well from Iran. Rohani had allegedly helped Iranian suspects in Bangkok attack of February 14 in getting a flat, after which she fled to
READ MORE - Cops name Iran military arm for attack on Israeli diplomat

India Maoists 'spread to north-east states'

By Amitabha Bhattasali BBC News, Calcutta
Maoists on the move in Chhatisgarh
The Maoists are being squeezed in their traditional central heartland
India's Maoists have spread north-east, gaining a foothold in the strategically located states bordering China and Burma, officials and analysts say.
The Maoists are filling the void created by dwindling ethnic insurgent groups like the Ulfa, an Institute for Conflict Management (ICM) report says.
One key Assam official told the BBC that boys thought to have gone south for jobs had instead joined the rebels.
The Maoists have become squeezed in their traditional central states.
'Extortion letters'
The ICM, an Indian security think-tank, said the Communist Party of India (Maoist) (CPI-M) had made determined moves to replace the dwindling Ulfa, NSCN and PLA insurgent groups.
Deaths related to violence by these groups have been in steep decline and the organisations are being progressively marginalised.

India's Maoist Insurgency

  • Violent rebellion began in 1967 in West Bengal village of Naxalbari and spread over rural areas of central and eastern India
  • Led by elusive military commander Kishenji, supported by between 10,000 and 20,000 fighters
  • More than 6,000 killed since rebellion began
  • Bloodiest attacks on security forces include 76 killed in April 2010 ambush; 55 killed in 2007 attack on police post
The institute said the Maoist spread raised grave concerns within the security establishment.
Ajit Singh, author of the report, said the Maoists had come under tremendous pressure in their core areas of central and northern India.
They are short of arms and ammunition to fight the large number of security personnel ranged against them. The north-east provides a way to procure Chinese weapons.
Iftiqar Hussein, who administers five sensitive districts of Upper Assam, told the BBC officials had become aware of the Maoist build-up after arresting and interrogating young boys.
"The Maoist guerrillas are getting food and shelter in the area. There were several cases of arms-snatching. Even extortion letters were sent to some rich people," he said.
Intelligence officers say that many of the large number of young boys thought to be leaving to find jobs in southern states had in fact left their villages to join the Maoists.
Map
Mr Hussein agreed, saying: "We have found out such a situation prevailing in an area called Sadia near the Arunachal Pradesh border."
Retired police officer, Subir Dutta, a specialist in Maoist and north-eastern affairs, told the BBC the Maoists had been trying to gain a foothold in the north-east for 20 years and appear to have now succeeded.
Maoist representation there, initially with the Maoist Communist Centre, which merged with the CPI in 2004 to form the CPI-M, had been dominated by ethnic insurgency movements.
But most of these have became marginalised or have begun negotiations with the government.
Ajit Singh said the Maoists had adopted the strategy of supporting mass movements, such as opposition to dams or support for the creation of new administrative districts.
The issues are local in nature but enjoy huge popular support.
Police say they have made a number of arrests of suspected Maoists involved in such movements.
Leaders of such campaigns in Assam insist they have no links to Maoists and say the government is trying crush their movements with the claims
READ MORE - India Maoists 'spread to north-east states'

Maoists’ West Bengal bandh today

Jhargram: Security has been heightened across Junglemahal with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's seven-day deadline to Maoists for laying down arms coming to an end on Saturday and the ultras calling a 24-hour bandh in defiance.
Maoists’ West Bengal bandh today
Joint forces intensified patrol with some entering on motorcycles in interior areas in West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts, the forested areas of which are collectively known as ''Junglemahal'', police said.
Maoist posters have appeared at Lodhasuli market, Lalgarh and Belpahari in West Midnapore district calling for isolating the "anti-people" Trinamool Congress, its "boycott" and "defeat".
In some posters, the Maoists decried the recent suspension of some Indian Reserve Battalion personnel for going on hunger-strike in their camps in Junglemahal against prolonged posting in hazardous areas and the alleged apathy of superiors.
Maoists’ West Bengal bandh today
The posters also protested the rape of a housewife allegedly by the joint forces.
Trinamool Congress MP Subhendu Adhikary said the posters were a desperate attempt by the Maoists, who were isolated from the people.
PHED minister and Trinamool leader Subrata Mukherjee said in Kolkata that such posters would hinder the development process and restoration of peace in Junglemahal by the state government.
READ MORE - Maoists’ West Bengal bandh today

Tripura to step up counter insurgency operations

Agartala: Counter insurgency operations would be intensified by the Tripura government following a notification by the Centre on link up of two insurgent groups with those outside the state, official sources said on Friday.

The banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) and the All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) have established links with the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) and Meitei extremist outfits of Manipur, they said.

"If there is no immediate curb and control of the NLFT and the ATTF, they will take the opportunity to mobilise their cadres for escalating secessionist, subversive and violent activities and indulge in killings of civilians and target police and security personnel," a gazette notification, dated October three, by the Ministry of Home Affairs said.

The state government extended the terms of the Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) for another six months to deal effectively with the insurgent outfits, they said.

A total of 74 persons mostly tribals were kidnapped by the NLFT and ATTF, they said. Last year, 114 people were kidnapped by ultras and 121 in 2009.
READ MORE - Tripura to step up counter insurgency operations